Mid-Autumn Festival Special: Auntie's Kim Savoury Homemade Mooncakes

  To me, classic baked mooncakes remain my favourite kind of mooncakes of all time, especially if they are Auntie's Kim homemade mooncakes.    

  It is the time of the year again where we get to celebrate and indulge ourselves in a variety of mooncakes while sipping a cup of aromatic, palate-cleansing Chinese tea with either our beloved friends or family. That is right, this festival that we celebrate is none other than the Mid-Autumn Festival (also being referred to as Mooncake Festival). According to the Chinese lunar calendar, this festival falls on the 15th days of the 8th month and it is the second grandest festival in China, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan and many other Asian countries. It is also the time of where we get to catch a glimpse of the moon that looks like a giant, yellow orb that hangs in the sky and shines as bright as diamond-flame.


Four Types of Classic Mooncakes baked by Auntie Kim

  Undoubtedly, the mooncakes are the primary highlight of the festival. In the modern era today, mooncakes come in a great deal of varieties, from the classic mooncake with red bean paste and nuts, to jelly versions with fillings and flavours that vary from chocolate to durian. Still, even with so many types of mooncakes, the classic versions will always remain as my favourite, especially the homemade ones. By good luck, I was able to get a taste of the mooncakes that were freshly-made from home by one of my mum's best friend, Kim. Auntie Kim is what I have always called her ever since I was just a kid.


Lotus Seed Paste Mooncake with Single Egg Yolk @ RM14 (per piece)
★★★★☆

  The first mooncake that I have tried was the one with lotus seed paste fillings with single salted egg yolk, which is one of my favourite classic mooncake of all time. The lotus seed paste was not too sweet and it has the right amount of sweetness unlike most of the mooncakes that I have attempted before. The salted egg yolk was like a bonus to the mooncake because it added a little bit of saltiness to the sweetness. All I could say is the combination of sweet, creamy lotus seed paste and the salted egg yolk is well-balanced and they were a perfect match for each other.



Red Bean Paste Mooncake @ RM11 ( per piece)
★☆☆

  Red bean paste mooncakes can be considered as one of the most popular classic mooncakes and they were also my favourite as well. Taking just a small bite of this mooncake, you can already feel the richness and luscious taste of the red bean paste burst within your mouth with some melon seeds in it. 



Golden Emerald Paste Mooncake with Single Egg Yolk @ RM14 (per piece)
★★

  Golden emerald paste mooncake with single egg yolk tasted delectable too. The moment you took a bite of the mooncake in your mouth, you will be able to taste the fragrance of the Pandan leaves as well as the salted egg yolk. Similar to the first mooncake that I have introduced, both golden emerald paste and the egg yolk blends perfectly fine together. Also, you will be able to find some tiny melon seeds inside. 



Assorted Fruits and Nuts Mooncake @ RM16.50 (per piece)
★★

  Assorted fruits and nuts mooncakes have always been my mum's favourite and most elders enjoy eating them. To be honest, out of the four mooncakes that I have, this type of mooncake has always been my least favourite because the ones that I have eaten before was too thick and hard to bite. However, Auntie's Kim assorted fruits and nuts mooncake was nothing like that. Although the mooncake was a little bit hard to cut it into pieces using a knife, but it was not difficult to chew when you put it in your mouth. Besides, Auntie Kim was generous enough to include an abundant amount of different kinds of nuts inside the mooncake. I really like how I can have the variety of nuts and seeds such as walnuts, whole almonds, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, sesame and melon seeds in just a single piece of the mooncake. Actually another major reason that I am not a fan of this type of mooncake because the fragrance of the kaffir lime leaves can be a little too heavy for me, but for this mooncake by Auntie Kim, you can only feel a mild fragrance of the leaves when you put inside your mouth, which I cannot help but fell in love with it instantly.


  All in all, I really enjoy eating Auntie Kim's classic mooncakes very much. She did a good job in controlling the sweetness for each and every mooncake she baked that most of the bakeries out there failed to do so. All of the mooncakes have just the right amount of sweetness where you would not easily feel bored after taking a bite. Trust me, these mooncakes are worth to give it a try. For those who are interested and would like to purchase the homemade mooncakes from Auntie Kim on next year, you can always contact her through her mobile phone number +60 12-2373896.


Check out the full album of Auntie's Kim Homemade Mooncakes at HERE.

7 comments:

  1. Well done! Please continue to update your blog for next recommendation. A good start is half way to success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I have tried the fruits and nuts one, absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to many more great posts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the lotus seed paste mooncake with single egg yolk and the golden emerald paste mooncake with single egg yolk the most! After Reading This, I'm craving for them even more than usual!Great recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deliciou !I have been ordered from Kim in the past few year. I love the nuts n seed (五仁)the most plus the fragrance of the kaffir lime leave. Looking forward for next year's order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos make me drooling! Looking forward for another homemade desserts post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowww...it made my mouth drooling, I will definitely purchase the moon-cake with egg yolk as that is my favorite! Thanks for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!! I love this. Thank you for sharing this valuable information

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.